Code of Practice
It is essential that DBS guidelines are followed by all who handle Disclosure information. All organisations must abide by the DBS Code of Practice If requested the applicant must also be given a copy of the DBS Code of Practice
The Recruiting Organisation should include a policy statement on employing people with criminal convictions when sending out application forms. A model Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex Offenders
The applicant should be made aware that the organisation has policies on storage and handling of Disclosure information and that copies are available on request. A model Policy Statement on the Secure Storage, Handling, Use, Retention and Disposal of Disclosures and Disclosure Information
To reassure applicants, recruiting organisations shall:
- Ensure that application forms, where appropriate, contain a statement that a Disclosure will be requested in the event of a successful application, so that applicants are aware of the situation.
- Include in application forms, or accompanying material, a statement to the effect that a criminal record will not necessarily be a bar to obtaining a position, in order to reassure applicants that Disclosure information will be used fairly.
- Discuss any matters revealed in Disclosure information with the person seeking the position before withdrawing an offer of employment.
- Make every subject of a Disclosure aware of the existence of this Code of Practice, and make a copy available on request.
- Make available guidance in relation to the employment and fair treatment of ex-offenders and to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The DBS is empowered to refuse to issue a Disclosure if it believes that a registered person, or, someone on whose behalf a registered person has acted, has failed to comply with the Code of Practice
Portability refers to the re-use of a DBS check, obtained for a position in one organisation and later used for another position in another organisation. The DBS does not support portability. Organisations that choose to accept a previously issued DBS check do so at their own risk.
Further information is included in our comprehensive Information Pack.
Contact Liz on 01273 414981 or email@example.com